Saturday, January 2, 2010

Every girl needs a man to love her, cherish her and protect her.

As weird as it may sound, certain events that took place during the dawn of the new year has led me to agree with my parents.Ofcourse, not on all topics but, atleast on one thing, the above statement.

Before you start pointing out that we women need no man to love and protect us. Furthermore, go onto add to your arguement that we are grown-up, independent women who can take care of ourselves or a simple animal such as a faithful dog can do the very seem maybe true! But why should we start debating without probing further into the statement?

This man need not be a husband. (I am one of those who pale at the thought of marriage.) Why cant this man be a boyfriend (this interests me during valentines day and birthdays only), a best friend (whos a boy ofcourse), a brother or even a father? [Well this is my interpretation of my mom's statement] Ofcourse a brother and a father can play all the three roles. They can love you, cherish you and most of all protect you. I do agree while the three roles are played completely different by a husband or a lover yet the end result is still the same. However, to all the men who are gloating at this admission from a female, I do like to pin-point that I never said that men dont need women. Ofcourse they do but this is for another topic.

Let me go onto say what brought upon my agreement to my mom's above statement. At the age of 18 I left the loving and protective environment of my home for the prospects of widening my knowledge, securing a status in society, to experience new things and most of all, undoubtably independence. Let me not fool you into thinking my parents/ brothers locked me up in the house and was waiting for the opportunity to shackle me to some man in the name of marriage. No they trust me with enough freedom to enjoy myself and yet limited it enough to ensure I was brought up as a lady from any descent family.

Independence at the age of 18 meant to me forbidden late-night outings, parties (which to be honest I partook only at a later age), boyfriends. In short to do what I want. But now a few years later I realise theres more to it. While it has offered me a sense of pride for all the achievements, maturity and responsibility, it also offers the endless undeniably loneliness that I will admit only on very few nights such as today.

When you walk back home, you walk back to an empty household. There are no siblings to fight with or play with, no parents to cheer you up after a hard days work or even to be concerned for your safety when you walk in at such an un-godly hour in the night! Those who live among friends will agree that there are times even the bestest of friend maybe able to love you enough but not be able to protect you as much as you are able to protect her. Well, this blog isnt about independence but about the need for male companions, siblings or parent.

Do you ever wonder what you would do if the gentleman you met the other day at a party turned out to be a crazy stalker? Or the old drinks-stall uncle who can pass as your dad offer to be your "friend" and ask for your number? Or even the neighborhood construction worker grab your hand to demand that you tell him where you come from!


No comments:

Post a Comment