Monday, April 13, 2009

My Oral Presentation

From my point of view my performance was not at its best. Being a fourth year student I expected myself to have got over what people might call "stage fright". However, I realised when I stood up to present I did feel panicky even after practicing a couple of times beforehand. I am quite disappointed with this aspect of my presentation as I wanted to master the art of having a calm appearance during presentations.

I made a mental note before the presentation to have eye contact with all the listener's but during the presentation my mind was more focused on presenting smoothly that I realised I didn't give much attention to maintaining eye contact with all the listeners or to my posture. Towards the end I realised I was using hand gestures to put across certain points to the listener's. I am not sure if these hand gestures are appropriate for the presentation but I would have rather held them behind my back. Apart from these blunders my main concern was on the Q and A session. My group mates and I had agreed upon a strategy to decide who would be answering which question so as to avoid any confusion. However, during the session I hadn't followed this strategy at all and I fear that I might have not given a chance for my group mates to answer. I definitely do regret on this part.

Overall, I am aware my performance was not as I had compared it to be during rehersals however, I am happy as we all, both my team mates and I, had fun throughout entire process (which included shopping! :D).

4 comments:

  1. Hey Priya!

    You did extremely well on your part for the presentation.

    Your speed and tome was well-controlled. You portrayed full confidence throughout the whole session and I was rather impressed as you did not look nervous at all! However, unlike what you’ve said, I thought you maintained good eye contact with the audience. Two things though, your standing position made you sort of “disappear” into the background. Perhaps you should have stood a little bit to the front. That way, the audience can see you better. Another one would be that, try not to stand on one leg (sorry about this) as it took away some seriousness as you being a speaker. You handled the questions well and you maintained a calm composure even when the questions were pretty tough to answer I have to say! Other than that, everything else is perfect.

    Good job Priya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Nadiah for the feedback :) I was afraid that I didnt maintain my posture but I'm glad that you pointed out in detail where I have gone wrong :) I am glad that I unconsciously maintained eye contact. Once again your comments are well appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Priya,

    Thank you for giving us such a great presentation.

    Actually I didn't feel you were panicky during your presentation. I think you have done a good job in the aspect of using appropriate volume and speed, sounding natural, conveying message effectively. But for this kind of professional presentation, you acted a little bit casual because of your gestures and posture. I noticed that you didn't keep standing straight and wobble a little sometimes.

    You said your main concern was on the Q and A session. Yes, I noticed that you answered quite a lot of the questions, on the other hand it also showed that you were quite familiar with what your group had presented. And I remembered there was one question, it seemed like all of you didn't know how to answer it at once, when your group member looked at you, you reacted very quick and represented your group to answer that question. It's well done, Priya!

    Overall, I think your presentation is good, just pay more attention to "formal and professional" next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Vicky for your feedback :)
    Yes I definitely will improve the formal and professional outlook of the presentation. Additionally, I am glad that you found the answers appropriate for the questions and we did put in quite alot of effort to be thorough with our topic. Thus im glad that the answers included some of these information. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete